Upload a photo of how you stay cool and conserve energy this summer to Instagram for your chance to win a $300 grocery gift card.
Don't forget to follow us on Instagram @FortisBC and include the hashtags #summeroffbc and #fortisbc.
Instagram Contest: Give Your Appliances the Summer Off
Upload a photo of how you're staying cool and saving energy this summer to Instagram for your chance to win a $300 grocery gift card.
Think of summer, and vacation immediately comes to mind. But what about your appliances—do some of them deserve the summer off too? We think that, with a little creativity, you can enjoy summer while letting your appliances—yes, even your cooling system—take it easy.
Enter our new Instagram contest to show us how you’re staying cool and conserving energy this summer, and you could win the grand prize of a $300 grocery gift card, or one of two $100 gift cards!
How to enter
- Start by following us on Instagram @fortisbc.
- Take a photo or Boomerang clip that shows a way you’re staying cool while also giving your appliances a break. Then Instagram it with the hashtags #FortisBC and #summeroffBC. To protect personal privacy, please don’t post photos of identifiable people. You can post photos of your pets, objects or a photo of someone at an angle that doesn’t clearly show their face.
- Only one entry (photo or Boomerang clip) per person is eligible, so be sure to tag us with your best shot!
- Photos and clips must be posted to Instagram with the hashtags #FortisBC and #summeroffBC between August 1 and 31, 2017, to be eligible.
Winning entries will be selected by a panel of judges on or before September 8, 2017. See the full contest rules here.
Post an image that shows how you’re staying cool and/or reducing the use of electricity and natural gas. Here are some ideas:
- drying your laundry on a clothesline instead of using a dryer
- turning off the standing pilot light in your natural gas fireplace for the summer (have it turned back on as part of regular appliance maintenance by a licensed gas contractor in the fall)
- closing windows and blinds during the day, draftproofing around windows and doors, and circulating air using fans so your cooling system doesn’t have to work as hard
- getting outside and cooling off with a swim or walk in the forest (be sure to practise sun safety, stay hydrated and seek shade)
- making a no-cook summer feast that doesn’t require sweating over a hot stove
Don’t turn off your fridge (recommended temperatures are 4 °C for fridges and -18 °C for freezers), water heater or the primary heating system in your house. And be mindful of safety when taking and posting photos. Images showing risky, unsafe or questionable activities may be disqualified.
Protect personal privacy
Please don’t post selfies or photos of identifiable people. You can post photos of your pets, objects or a photo of someone at an angle that doesn’t clearly show their face.
Impress the judges
The winning photos will be selected based on the originality and creativity of each entry, as well as photographic principles such as composition, lighting and colour.
Good luck and have fun taking the #summeroffBC!
Follow us on Instagram and enter before August 31, 2017.
1. CONTEST RULES FOR CONTESTANTS
The Give Your Appliances the Summer Off Instagram Contest (the “Contest”) is being offered by FortisBC Energy Inc. and FortisBC Inc. collectively (“FortisBC”).
a) The Contest is open to all BC residents. Contestants do not need to be a FortisBC customer to participate.
b) Employees and contractors of FortisBC are not eligible to enter.
c) Photo submissions should depict ways to stay cool in summer and to conserve energy or water.
d) By posting a photo for the Contest, the contestant affirms that he/she is at least 18 years of age and agrees that FortisBC may use this photo in the Contest and gives FortisBC and its affiliated companies the right to use and reproduce the photo in any publication, website, advertising, or other promotional material produced by or on behalf of FortisBC or its affiliated companies without any financial consideration.
2. HOW TO ENTER
a) Follow us on Instagram @FortisBC.
b) Post a photo to Instagram showing how you’re staying cool and giving your appliances a break this summer. Include the hashtags #summeroffBC and #FortisBCcontest.
c) The contest opens August 1, 2017 at 9 a.m. and closes August 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
d) Photographs must be posted to Instagram between August 1, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (“PST”) and August 31, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m. PST. All entries become the property of FortisBC. The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram. Instagram is completely released of all liability from each entrant in this Contest. Any questions, comments or complaints regarding the Contest must be directed to FortisBC and not the applicable social media platform.
e) No purchase necessary.
f) Limit of one entry per person.
g) Data and message rates may apply; check with your mobile plan provider for rates and details relating to participation via mobile device.
3. PHOTO CRITERIA
a) To protect personal privacy, entries that contain or reference third-party personal information, and photos featuring distinguishable features of a person will not be eligible for Contest entry and will not be used by FortisBC. Silhouetted figures, or shots of people at angles that don’t clearly show an identifiable face, will be accepted.
b) Any photos deemed inappropriate or non-compliant with these Contest rules for any reason will not be eligible for the Contest. FortisBC will make the final determination, in its sole and exclusive discretion, as to whether any submitted photo is eligible.
c) Submitted photos must also:
- Comply with the respective social media platform’s terms of service, available at instagram.com;
- Include the required hashtags set out above;
- Be original and in good taste;
- Be in keeping with FortisBC’s public goodwill and image and may not be offensive, inappropriate, or indecent, as determined by FortisBC in its sole discretion. Photos containing any profanity or lewd references will be disqualified at the sole discretion and judgment of FortisBC. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, any obscene, offensive, sexual or otherwise inappropriate entry including without limitation those referencing or depicting violence, nudity, or explicit activity, or that are not in the spirit of the Contest or do not meet FortisBC’s standards for any reason, as solely determined by FortisBC, will be deemed ineligible and entries will be disqualified if they include any of the following: crude, obscene, offensive, vulgar, sexually inappropriate or offensive language and/or symbols; derogatory characterizations of any ethnic, racial, sexual or religious groups; content that endorses, condones or discusses any illegal, inappropriate or risky activity, behaviour or conduct; personal information of individuals, including without limitation, names and addresses (physical or email); conduct or other activities in violation of these Rules; commercial messages, comparisons or solicitations for products or services; any identifiable third-party products and/or trademarks; URLs or links to any websites; and any other content that is or could be considered inappropriate, unsuitable, or offensive, all as determined by FortisBC and/or the Contest judging panel in their sole discretion.
a) There is one grand prize of a $300 Save-On-Foods™ gift card and two secondary prizes of a $100 Save-On-Foods™ gift card. Gift cards are subject to the terms and conditions of the issuer. Save-On-Foods is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
b) FortisBC may substitute a prize of equal or greater value (based on the approximate retail value of the prize as described in these Contest terms and conditions), including without limitation, a cash award, if a prize or prize component cannot be awarded for any reason. The prize winner is solely responsible for all costs not expressly described herein.
5. WINNER SELECTION
a) The winning photographs will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by FortisBC, on or before September 8, 2017.
b) Winning photographs will be based on the following criteria: originality, relevance to theme, creativity, composition, lighting, and subject clarity.
c) Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
d) The winner may be featured on the FortisBC website following the Contest deadline.
e) If necessary, FortisBC reserves the right to amend the Contest and/or Contest rules at any time, for any reason and without notice.
f) If for any reason the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, cheating, technical failures, or any other causes, technological or otherwise, which corrupt, disrupt, or otherwise affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest FortisBC reserves the right to cancel, modify, or suspend any or all aspects of the contest.
a) Potential winners will be contacted by September 11, 2017, via their Instagram account. FortisBC will attempt to reach the selected contestants no more than three (3) times. If FortisBC is unable to contact the selected contestant within five (5) days of the first attempted contact, FortisBC may select another eligible contestant to win the prize.
b) By entering the Contest, the contestant agrees that if selected as a winner, such winner will allow FortisBC to publish his/her name and photo on FortisBC’s website or publications produced by FortisBC and will sign a photo release acknowledging same. Failure to comply with this requirement may result in forfeiture of a prize.
c) FortisBC, in its sole and absolute discretion, reserves the right to modify or terminate this Contest or these terms and conditions at any time, without individual notice, and for any reason.
d) Prize claim is subject to verification by FortisBC and/or its designated representatives. Entries made with multiple addresses, or under multiple identities, may be void at the sole discretion of FortisBC. All Contest entries obtained through unauthorized sources or that are incomplete, illegible, mutilated, altered, reproduced, forged, irregular, or fraudulent in any way or otherwise not in compliance with these Rules may be void at the sole discretion of FortisBC. FortisBC will be the sole and final reference source in validating a prize claim.
7. INDEMNIFICATION/RELEASE OF LIABILITY
a) The Contest winners agree, by accepting a prize, and each entrant agrees, by entering or participating in the contest, to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless FortisBC, and its parent company, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, retailers, web development companies, advertising and promotional agencies, Instagram, prize suppliers and any other individuals or legal entities participating in the design, administration or fulfillment of this contest and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively “Released Parties”) from and against any and all liability for any threatened or actual injuries, loss, or damage of any kind to person, including death or disability, and property, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in this contest or acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of a prize, participation in any contest-related activity or inability to participate in parts thereof including, without limitation, claims, suits, injuries, losses, and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, violation of the rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light (whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory, and whether or not caused in whole or in part by the negligence of one or more of the Released Parties. Entrants covenant not to sue any Released Party or cause them to be sued regarding any matter released above; and further covenant not to disaffirm, limit, or rescind this release. A waiver by FortisBC of any term in these Rules does not constitute a waiver of any other provision.
8. GOVERNING LAW
a) This contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the province of British Columbia.